Ladeania Jones, Animal Shelter Manager
The following are some of the guidelines for pet ownership within the city limits. The complete Ordinance No. 2008-06 regarding animals may be found under the Code of Ordinances on this website.
1. Citizens are allowed a maximum of two pets (i.e., two dogs or cats or a combination of both).
2. Every owner of a dog or cat four (4) months of age or older shall have such animal vaccinated against rabies. Annual re-vaccination shall be required within each subsequent twelve (12) month interval thereafter. Any person moving into the City of Canton from a location outside of the city shall comply with this ordinance within ten (10) days after having moved within the corporate city limits.
3. It is unlawful for any person who owns, harbors or keeps any animal within the corporate limits of the City of Canton, Texas, to permit that animal to run at large. A stray dog, cat or other animal running at large is declared to be a public nuisance. The Supervisor of Animal Control or any person acting under his supervision is authorized to impound such animals running at large and to enter upon privately-owned property for that purpose.
4. No person shall own or harbor a vicious animal within the city; such an animal shall be impounded as a public nuisance.
5. It is unlawful for a person to restrain a dog with a chain or tether unless the person is holding the chain or tether.
6. It is unlawful for any person to import, offer for sale, keep, maintain or harbor in the City of Canton, any wild animal, including but not limited to monkey or other nonhuman primate, skunk, raccoon, jaguar, leopard, lynx, tiger, lion, ocelot, bobcat, cheetah, mountain lion, panther, bear wolf, coyote, fox or other carnivorous animal. Hybrid animals resulting from crossing wild with domestic species are also prohibited. Any poisonous or venomous biting or injecting species of amphibian, arachnid or reptile, including snakes, shall also be prohibited. Snakes not indigenous to this state are prohibited.